Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hosting: not for the faint at heart.

You know you've got it bad when the mere thought of making dinner for a crowd of people gives you that rush of giggles, kinda like a grade school kid on their birthday. Tonight my roommate and I are hosting a "community dinner" - TFA loves to force upon us these hosting opportunities for new corps members. But frankly, I don't mind the opportunity to force people to eat my food. After all, this is the South, and they have to be polite.

A year ago, I had to attend all of these awful dinners. Well, only two were awful. One dinner was hosted by a group of girls who were in the corps ahead of mine. Very nice, but very bland "mexican food." I felt bad for just not enjoying it. The second dinner took place at a ridiculous home in Old Money Charlotte. They served fajitas on a white table cloth. I am guilty for splattering a little on it. I also got stuck next to the matron of the home, which probably made it worse for me. Not to mention that they invited their awkward banking son, and hosted only females. He took time to speak to each one of us, almost as if we were auditioning to sit next to him for dinner. I felt weird all around.

My last dinner was at a lake house in South Carolina (which, is like, 10 minutes from Charlotte - but much like the Illinois side of the river: very dirty). The family made a veggie lasagna and a salad. Simple, but really good. Also, they were just good hosts. At the end of the meal, the husband and wife sat us all down around their fireplace and shared with us stories upon stories about life. I enjoyed myself immensely, despite the fact that I was in South Carolina.

So I am hosting. Well, my roommate and I are hosting together. But I am the one giddy about the meal. I've been flipping through books, blogs, and newspaper postings for weeks. The other day I suggested we discuss the menu, and she just gave me a look like I am a nut. But I was serious!

I have a problem remembering that not everyone enjoys food like I do. I see no problem with balsamic vinegar, black lentils, endives, etc. But I guess other people do. You can see the struggle - I want to make something of substance, but I need to keep it low key. Frustrating, beyond all belief. More people should be like me.

Here is my menu, with a few alterations to be made within the process of cooking it:

Essentially, I'm wasting my time by posting this and not cooking. But it'll all get done, I imagine. I just hope people other than me like it.

No comments: