Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I get by with a little help from my.... grocery store

This post is all about giving props to Trader Joe's. He's, like, the best. I remember the old days in St Louis, when I was a slave to Schnucks, and Shop and Save (Whole Foods is out of my price range for mass shopping). I have Angie to thank for introducing me to the Joe, and Angie: "Thank you from the bottom of my stomach."

Since, I've had Joe in my life, I've been regularly consuming brie, smoked salmon, edamame, pork ribs, mango lemonade, and lots and lots of wine. Before Joe, these were all wasteful and extravagant on my student budget. Joe is also the only man that I will buy pre-packaged meal kits from. I trust him to make them taste good, and use the packaging necessary to prevent needless preservative overload. He even goes relatively easy on the sodium. He's good to me.

Joe does a really god job on certain cuisines, and I can always trust his Indian and Thai. So, when I first stopped in and saw a package of tuna in a red curry sauce, I lunged. This tuna comes in all three familiar colors of Thai curry(red, yellow, and green), but the red is my favorite by far.

It's a twenty minute meal (beat that Rachel Ray-face) from start to finish, and has become an absolute staple for the little man and I. Boil some rice, stir-fry some onions, garlic and whatever other veggies are hanging about, toss the tuna with those and, voila! Dinner.

This is what it looks like when I'm all done:

Take that and stuff it in your yum-o.