Wednesday, August 6, 2008

She's a Rejecter

Last weekend I tried to make a cold soup. It wasn't just any cold soup - it was a raw soup. I find the idea of eating "raw" to be intriguing, and possibly enjoyable. When I was a vegan, I felt a lot better after I finished a meal. Also, I thought "If Gwenyth Paltrow can do it, so can I!"

Raw soup is probably code for "baby food." It was butternut squash, apples, tahini, and a few spices. I chopped them, blended them, and even added cold cucumber for some 'crunch' in my presentation. And I still had baby food.


But I love the idea of cold soups! I have trouble finding acceptable cold soup. Riddle's has a strawberry cold soup that tastes like melted strawberry yogurt. My favorite tapas restaurant here in Charlotte, Las Ramblas, has a gazpacho with great taste - just too much like salsa, and not enough "cold soup."

This morning I clicked on the NPR homepage to find, lo and behold, a special on cold soups. My favorite looking one is the velvety corn soup - it looks like it takes minutes. But! I read the corner tips on making cold soup - don't use a food processor. This was my mistake. Perhaps that's what gave my raw soup it's "baby food syndrome."

Then again, it could've been because it was raw soup. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Shanna said...

I totally see how the cold soup could be baby food, and of course gazpacho is the exception. The Israeli has something cold soup-esque he keeps saying he's going to make. From what I can understand it sounds like a more liquid tzatziki. I'll try and get him to make it and maybe blog the recipe... but of course I don't know if yoghurt fits into the whole raw food deal.