Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tortillas!

I made tortillas, and they were awesome.

I've only tried to make flour tortillas twice before, but both times something went horribly wrong. The end product was edible, but not at all what I was going for. I kept ending up with something that had a resemblance to crackers that tortillas should not possess. But this time, they were perfect. They were slightly chewy and soft, and not at all like crackers. Even more miraculous, they might have been the best tortillas I have EVER had. So, I'm a little excited.

It's funny that Angie recently did a post on the blog Orangette because I'm also pretty partial to it, and that's exactly where I got the recipe from. It a pretty simple and standard method, but Molly does a damn good job on detailing her instructions. Now, even I, creator of the Mexican cracker, can make crazy good tortillas.

I served them as fish tacos to the boyfriend and my friend Liz. Liz was a big fan, and I trust her opinion here as she has assured me that her Mexican grandmother made the best flour tortillas that the world has ever known, and I believe her. Of course, I have not reached "abuela standards" quite yet, but I can dream, can't I?

Sadly, I took no pictures of the fish tacos, but they're pretty regular guests at our table, so eventually they will make it up here. The next morning, however, I did photograph the cheese quesadillas I made for breakfast.


I will never buy a tortilla at the grocery store ever again. Not even at the Mexican grocery store.